after a harrowing journey on a thai bus, I finally arrived in Hanoi. Mopeds are the THE means of transportation around town, and despite the traffic chaos, the city seems tame in comparison to the mazes of Delhi and Jaipur. Rich and I immediately headed to Halong Bay, a picturesque group of over 2000 islands and caves off the north eastern coast of the country. We linked up with Ha, a local guide (and part-time comedian) from Hanoi, aboard a boat called a "junk"... I cannot make this stuff up. [sidenote: Rich and I had an upgraded room, complete with a VIP sign on the outside of our door. VIPs of the junk...].



One funny moment: Ha mentions that the caves were used by North Vietnamese soldiers as cover from air attack. I innocently ask - "The Vietnam War?" To which he deadpans, "The American War." Point taken. We later saw a sign commemorating 1995 as the 20th anniversary of southern vietnam's liberation. I snapped a picture before being chased away by the store owner...oops!
Then we grabbed an overnight train to Sapa, the northwest mountain city. More on that later...
Halong Bay caves...
One funny moment: Ha mentions that the caves were used by North Vietnamese soldiers as cover from air attack. I innocently ask - "The Vietnam War?" To which he deadpans, "The American War." Point taken. We later saw a sign commemorating 1995 as the 20th anniversary of southern vietnam's liberation. I snapped a picture before being chased away by the store owner...oops!
On our bus back to Hanoi, we came upon a guy who had seriously pimped his ride. we spent about 10 mins cajoling our driver to pull up alongside him long enough to grab this picture. Mr. Vuitton should be proud...

0 comments:
Post a Comment